Friday, December 21, 2012
Does the Grinch Really Deserve That? And Other Random Christmas observations...
- The song about the Grinch is really very mean. When you really listen to the words, it's basically all full of very clever insults so I find it amusing that it's become a beloved Christmas song. (example: You're a Foul one, Mr. Grinch. You're a Nasty, Wasty Skunk! Your heart is full of unwashed socks....) I know he's a bad guy, but he turns out nice in the end...does he really deserve all the insults?
- What the heck is Figgy Pudding?!?! (It's from the song We Wish You a Merry Christmas)
- When you start buying gifts in October (like I did this year), you feel a lot more organized, but end up spending a lot more money because you forget what you've already bought until it's time to wrap everything.
- Being "asleep" means something very different to me than it does to the kids. To the kids, it means they want me to pretend to be "asleep" while I actually have to stay extra vigilant in case someone decides to jump on my while my eyes are closed, or get into something they know they shouldn't. To me, it actually means "asleep". (Okay this isn't related to Christmas, but I still find it interesting).
- Some of the ornaments and decorations that seemed so lame when I was a teen-ager are now so special to me.
- How do people get the energy and money to come up with a whole display of lights, going in tune to music on the radio? Especially if it's at their own house and they're doing it for free? Kudos to them because we love Christmas lights!!