Wednesday, December 14, 2011
How to Engage Toddlers in Christmas
1. Play "I Spy" using the Christmas tree. Both kids love this. I say, "I spy an ornament with a dog who is wearing a hat." They both look all around the tree and yell out when they find it. We've played this several times a day for about five days running. I'm hoping the excitement lasts.
2. Let them help wrap presents. Yes, this sounds tricky, but I just give them some stickers and let them use them like bows. They both love stickers and are so proud of the presents they "wrapped."
3. Drive around and look at Christmas lights. This is a perfect activity for when Daddy is coming home late from work. Pack up some sandwiches and carrots and drive all around, looking at all the lights. You don't even have to get out of the car. It's pretty relaxing actually.
4. Advent doors. I found a really neat Advent train at Hobby Lobby. They take turns each day opening a door. I'm hoping it's one thing they'll remember as they get older. I remember my brothers and I took turns putting the star on the tree each year.
5. Lastly, I put up a new tree every day on our sliding glass door and let them decorate with Christmas stickers. Fun is had by all. Ho ho ho!!!